The Advantages Of Mediation During Divorce
Divorce mediation is an alternative to litigation where a skilled and trained professional can help you and your spouse or partner dissolve the relationship and negotiate on how you’ll settle important issues like child-related matters, real estate and financial assets. At Viola Law Firm, our goal as your divorce mediator is to guide you through the process in a collaborative and amicable way.
There are many benefits to using a divorce mediator:
- You retain full control over the outcome.
- There is less stress as conflict is managed by a skilled neutral party (the mediator) trained to uncover the reasons behind disagreements and provide a framework to guide everyone to an amicable and fair resolution.
- Confidentiality is maintained as discussions cannot be disclosed to others.
- Resolution is faster as divorce mediation is more efficient than traditional divorce proceedings. The mediator will help you navigate each other’s preferences and negotiation requests.
- Communication between spouses is better, which helps avoid future conflicts.
How Divorce Mediation Works
- Starts with a phone call: At this stage, you provide background information about your marriage, family and the issues.
- The initial meeting: Held in our comfortable conference room, the initial meeting is where the divorce mediator will explain how the process will proceed based upon your family’s needs.
- Additional meeting(s): We will discuss your situation and what you’re looking for, document any agreements already made, and talk about issues like custody, support and dividing property.
- Signed agreement: Documents are signed by both parties.
- Submission to the court: Your signed agreement will be submitted to your county court for final approval and filing.
Choosing Viola Family Law for Divorce Mediation
Viola Law Firm has a reputation for excellence. The Honorable Kathleen McKenna, retired commissioner, has over 20 years of experience and her career has focused on family law. From 2001 to 2014, she served as commissioner of the Superior Court of California and the County of San Mateo. As a commissioner, she sat on the family law bench in San Mateo County hearing a variety of cases, including domestic violence, divorce proceedings and child support issues. When helping clients with matters such as custody, support and property division, she brings her extensive background as mediator, private judge and parent coordinator.